Housing Resources

Residential Accommodations are available to students who have documented disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. If you require housing accommodations for medical needs, contact Disability Resource Services to begin the process of determining the best course of action.

Disability Resource Services will review the required documents and communicate with the Office of Residence Life the recommendations that will assist you with academic achievement and/or daily functioning. The Office of Residence Life will then communicate the process for fulfilling the accommodation with you as the student making the request.

Moving on campus

Below is a list of items that may be helpful as you prepare to move on campus. If you have questions about specific items, please refer to the Student Handbook. For additional information or questions, please call The Office of Residence Life at (606) 218-5224.


  • Computer or Laptop
  • Power Strip with a Surge Protector (Extension Cords are Not Permitted)
  • Television
  • Game Systems
  • Printer/Ink (Free Printing is Available in Allara Library)
  • All Chargers
  • HDMI Cable


  • Bedding, Sheets, Pillows, Blankets (All Beds are Size Twin XL, with the Exception of Derriana which are Twin)
  • Mattress Pad (Optional)


  • Can Opener
  • Eating Utensils, Plate, Bowl, Cup
  • Coffee Maker with an Automatic Shut Off
  • Microwave
  • Refrigerator (Under 4 Cubic Ft.)


  • Carpet or Rug
  • Desk Lamp (Non-Halogen)
  • Hangers
  • Fan (All Residence Halls have AC)
  • Pictures/Posters/Decorations
  • Reading Light
  • Under Bed Storage Containers
  • Trash Can
  • Mirror
  • Air Freshener
  • Cleaning Supplies (Swiffer/Small Vacuum)

School Supplies

  • Backpack
  • Office Supplies (Pens, Paper, Note Books, Scissors, Sticky Notes, Etc.)
  • Mini-Stapler
  • Binders
  • Hole Punch
  • Planner/Calendar
  • Folders and Notebooks
  • Pens and Pencils
  • Loose-Leaf Paper
  • Index Cards
  • Highlighters


  • All-Purpose Cleaner
  • Bath Towels, Soaps, Robe, Etc.
  • First Aid Kit, Bandages, Aspirin
  • Hair Products, Hair Dryer
  • Personal Hygiene Items
  • Shower Shoes
  • Cosmetics


  • Clothes Drying Rack
  • Iron and Small Ironing Board
  • Laundry Bag (or Basket)
  • Laundry Soap
  • Dryer Sheets


  • Games, Sports Equipment
  • Postage Stamps
  • Storage Boxes
  • Umbrella
  • Sunglasses
  • Sleep Mask



  • Air Conditioners
  • Alcohol and Drugs
  • Any Appliance with an Exposed Heating Coil (Toasters, Toaster Ovens, Etc.)
  • Burners or Hot Plates that Do Not have an Automatic Shutoff (Induction Burners are Permitted)
  • Candles or Incense (Tart Warmers are Permitted)
  • Double-Sided Foam Tape or Duct Tape
  • Electric Heaters
  • Fireworks, Explosives, Unsafe Chemicals
  • Full-Size Refrigerator
  • Halogen Lamps (i.e. Floor Lamps)
  • Pets (Fish are Permitted)
  • Waterbeds
  • Weapons (Including Toy Weapons such as Water Pistols, Nerf Guns, Etc.)
  • String Lights/Christmas Lights


Here are a few things that we recommend you leave at home:

  • Expensive Clothing and Jewelry
  • Off-Season Clothes
  • Large Pieces of Luggage


If you have questions about specific items, please refer to the Student Handbook. For additional information or questions, please call the Office of Residence Life at (606) 218-5224.

To download a pdf copy of the item list above please click here.

Athletic Residency Requirement: UPIKE requires all student-athletes to live in a university-operated residence hall. If you’re an athlete applying to live off campus, you must meet the criteria outlined on the Off-Campus Residency Application. Each student athlete’s application will be reviewed and may be appealed by a committee formed by Student Affairs. You will be notified of a decision by the Director of Residence Life within 14 business days of receipt of application.

Meal Plans: All students living in the residence halls are required to purchase a residential student meal plan. Meal plans are for use by the student and may not be sold or given to others. Costs associated with the university meal plan will not be refunded due to lack of use by the student. In rare cases, students with dietary needs stemming from medical necessity may be offered an exemption from mandatory enrollment in a meal plan; such requests will start with the Office of Residence Life and will require endorsement from Health Services and the food service provider in order to be approved. Meal plan information is available from the Office of Residence Life.

Early Arrival : To request early arrival to campus for housing please fill out this form.

Moving off campus

Move Out: At the end of each spring semester, the residence halls close for the summer. During this time, there are responsibilities each resident must complete in order to properly check out.

End of Year Request to Stay: To request staying on campus beyond the move out date, please fill out this form.


The residence halls at the University of Pikeville close each Thanksgiving, during winter break and spring break. During residence hall closures, all students (unless given prior permission from the Director of Residence Life) must vacate the residence halls and complete the following closing procedures:

  • Close blinds
  • Close and lock windows
  • Empty all trash
  • Lock bedroom AND suite door
  • Open, empty, unplug and defrost personal refrigerators (winter and spring breaks only)
  • Set air conditioner/heater to 68°F on HEAT setting
  • Turn off all lights
  • Unplug all items
  • Wash any dirty dishes and laundry

Residence hall staff will be completing health and safety inspections of all rooms to ensure the above procedures are completed. All residents of the suite share responsibility for common area tasks.  Failure to complete the above procedures may result in an improper check-out charge of $50.

Summer Housing

Summer housing is offered for students taking summer courses, involved in research or employed by the University of Pikeville. Meal plans are not available during the summer. However, when the cafeteria is open students can purchase meals at the register. Summer session details and costs are as follows:

May Term
May 6, 2020 – May 31, 2020

Summer I Session
June 5, 2020 – July 1, 2020

Summer II Session
July 9, 2020 – August 2, 2020

May Term
May 6, 2020 – May 31, 2020

Summer I Session
June 5, 2020 – July 1, 2020

Summer II Session
July 9, 2020 – August 2, 2020


Each year, the Office of Residence Life determines the location for summer student housing. If you are currently on campus for the Spring Term and plan to be living on campus for the May term, you can transition directly into your summer housing assignment. Likewise, if you are on campus for the Summer II Term and will be living on campus for the Fall Term, you may transition directly into your fall housing assignment when that time approaches.

The Director of Residence Life will contact you with a specific timeline for your move between spring, summer and fall assignments. As a resident, it is important you abide by this timeline. When possible, the Office of Residence Life will make every effort to assign summer housing to prevent multiple moves; however, this cannot be guaranteed.

Policies & FAQs

Once you’re an accepted student, visit live.upike.edu.

All students living on campus receive a meal plan. The meal plan consists of unlimited cafeteria meals and limited Bear Bucks, which can be used at Einstein Brothers Bagels, Chick-fil-a and POD.

Yes! As long as both roommates mutually request each other on their housing applications the request can be accommodated.

Single rooms are only available if space allows. The Office of Residence Life will notify students if space becomes available. Then you can request a single room on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you require a single room for medical accommodations, you can begin this process through the Disabilities Resource Coordinator.

Initial housing assignments and roommate notifications will be distributed to students who have completed the Housing and Meal Plan Application by the priority deadline. All notifications will be sent via email. Rolling notifications will continue throughout the summer.

Each residence hall has a laundry room with free to operate washers and dryers. You must provide your own laundry detergent.

Mailboxes are located in the campus post office on the ground floor of Wickham Hall. If you’re interested in receiving a mailbox, you can request one free of charge.

Each student is responsible for cleaning his/her own room, kitchenette and private bathroom. A member of the custodial staff cleans community bathrooms in Condit and Wickham Halls. University officials conduct room inspections and cleanliness checks on a routine basis.

There are common areas in select residence halls that may be used for studying purposes. You may also use the Allara Library, the Student Success computer lab and the Student Lounge to study. In all residence halls, quiet hours will be observed after 10 p.m. on weeknights and 12:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

The rules and regulations can be found in the University of Pikeville Student Handbook. It is your responsibility to be familiar with and adhere to all university policies.

Resident Assistants (RA’s) are student leaders who are available to help answer any questions about campus or your living community. Feel free to visit any of the RA’s in your building at any time.

Each residence hall also has a live-in professional staff member, an Area Coordinator. Your Area Coordinator is available to assist you with any issues you may have.

In the event of an emergency, contact Public Safety at (606) 477-0262.

The residence halls close for Thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break and summer break. You will be asked to vacate your room during those times.

UPIKE provides shuttle transportation to and from surrounding airports before each break. Shuttle service arrangements are also available in May before summer break. For more information, contact Student Affairs at (606) 218-5224.

We strongly recommend students purchase personal property coverage.

The university is not responsible for loss of your personal items. Coverage can be obtained through most insurance companies. This coverage will be applicable both on campus and worldwide and will cover your personal belongings in the event that they are stolen, accidentally damaged, or suffer a loss due to fire, water or smoke. Common situations that can occur include:

  • Accidental damage
  • Fire, smoke, power surge or natural disasters
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Water damage from sprinklers