You must complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal student aid and for most state and institutional aid. The quickest way to apply is online at www.studentaid.gov/fafsa.

Get an FSA ID

The FSA ID must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign federal student aid documents. If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create one by visiting the Federal Student Aid website.

Completing the FAFSA

Gather the information required to apply

  • Your social security number and your parents’ social security numbers if you are providing parent information
  • Your driver’s license number, if applicable.
  • Your alien registered number if you are not a U.S. citizen.
  • Federal tax information or tax returns including W-2 information, for yourself, for your spouse if you are married, and for your parents. If you are providing parent information, use income records for the year prior to the academic year for which you are applying.
  • Records of untaxed income such as social security benefits, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) and veterans benefits for yourself (and for your parents if you are providing parent information), and information on savings, investments and business and farm assets for yourself (and for your parents if you are providing parent information).

A FAFSA must be completed even if you are not required to file a federal tax return. If your federal tax returns or your parents’ federal tax returns are not completed, the FAFSA can be filed as a “will file.” Once your taxes are completed, you may do a correction on the FAFSA using both student and parent FSA IDs to submit the completed tax return information.

Below you will find instructional videos on how to fill out the FAFSA.

FAFSA Instructions
previous arrow
next arrow

University of Pikeville Federal School Code — 001980.