Frequently Asked Questions 

• How do I apply for admission to the University of Pikeville as an international undergraduate student?
First, submit the application for admission. Next, submit all the required documents and transcripts. If you have questions, contact the UPIKE Office of International Students and Scholar Services anytime.

• What are UPIKE admission deadlines? 
Admission deadlines are July 1 for fall semester and December 1 for spring semester.
• How much does it cost to apply to the University of Pikeville as an international student?
There is no fee at this time.
• How do I find out the status of my application? 
You will receive regular updates by mail.
• May I translate my documents and have them notarized?
We require that applicants submit translation documents directly to WES or ACCROA in the original language, together with a precise and word-for-word translation completed by a knowledgeable or licensed translator. In the course of the evaluation, WES and ACCROA evaluators, who are multi-lingual, verify the translation.

Applicants who need to have their documents translated are referred by WES or ACCROA to a reliable translation service to make their arrangements directly with that service or with another translator of their choice. All documents must be submitted directly to WES or AACROA.

All high school and post-high school transcripts and secondary education (not U.S. accredited) completed outside of the United States must be evaluated by an independent international credential evaluation. Certified copies of all high school and post-high school academic records with English translation should be sent to one of the services listed below:

World Education Services (WES):
Josepf Silney  & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants: Foreign Credential Evaluation and Translation

Please tell WES or AACRAO to send your transcript evaluation directly to: Diann Whittier, UPIKE Office of International Students and Scholar Services, 147 Sycamore Street, Pikeville, KY 41501.

• Why do I need a secondary education transcript evaluation?
The process of grade conversion to U.S. equivalencies requires many variables to arrive at an equitable assessment of individual achievement. Therefore, to make grading scales including their definitions and distributions meaningful in a U.S. context we require the evaluation.
• Are international students required to take SAT or ACT? 
No, international students are not required to take the SAT or ACT, but it is recommended, if available. However, a sport conference requires it for example, National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics’ conference (NAIA). The student should coordinate with individual team coaches to ensure that the student-athlete meets criteria to play sports.

The two tests have different formats. The SAT has three sections—critical reading, math and writing—while the ACT has four components: English, math, science and reading.

• I attended a U.S. high school for two years. Do I have to take the TOEFL/IELTS?
No, you do not have to take the TOEFL/IELTS if one of the two years has been within the last five years. However, you must submit a transcript that shows you have attended high school in the U.S.
• Why do I need to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)? 
TOEFL or IELTS is required of students whose countries official native language is not English.

• What score do you require on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
Official TOEFL Score of 68 for undergraduate (minimum) or 79 for graduate (minimum) is required for admission.

• What score do you require on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)? 
An overall band score of 6.5 is required for admission.

• How long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid? 
The TOEFL/IELTS score is valid for two years. 
• I don’t have the required TOEFL/IELTS score. Can I retake the TOEFL/IELTS once I arrive in the U.S.?
Unfortunately not. The fulfillment of the English language requirement is one of the elements required for us to issue you a visa document. If your TOEFL/IELTS score does not meet the requirement, we cannot issue the document and you will not be able to enter the country. So it is imperative that you retake the test right away.
• Am I qualified for language requirement waivers?
The English language requirement may be waived if the applicant is a native of or studied in full-time status for at least one academic year within the last five years in the U.S., the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or English medium universities in Canada or South Africa. Students who studied in English in other countries, for example, India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc., are not exempt from the English language requirement.
• What should I do to get a student visa?
Most international students attending UPIKE hold student (F1) visas. After you are admitted to UPIKE you will receive a Notification of Admission and a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form). In order to obtain a student visa, present the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form) to a United States embassy or consulate. The U.S. Department of State offers more information about obtaining a student visa. If you are attending a college or university in the United States, you must obtain a new Form I-20 from UPIKE. Be sure to complete the International Student Transfer Form from the UPIKE Office of International Students and Scholar Services. Your SEVIS record must be released from your former school to UPIKE. If you have specific questions about student visas, you can contact us.
• Do I need health insurance?                                                                                         
Yes, all international students are required to have health insurance. If you don’t have health coverage, a health insurance plan can be offered at UPIKE.

• Does UPIKE admit international transfer students?
Yes. UPIKE will consider transfer applications from international students who have not completed more than two years of a university degree program. International transfer students are eligible for scholarships on the same basis as any other student.
• Does UPIKE grant transfer credit hours? 
Yes. Visit: for more information.
• What do I need to do to get transfer credits for my previous studies at a foreign institution?
The UPIKE Office of International Students and Scholar Services will submit transcript evaluations to the UPIKE Registrar’s Office. Transfer credit will be awarded for courses comparable to those taught at the University of Pikeville and/or that are compatible with a liberal arts education.

World Education Services (WES):
AACRAO International Education Services (IES): http://ies.aacrao

• What is a TOEFL score?
Test of English Proficiency.
• What does iBT mean?
Internet based test.
• What is SEVIS?
SEVIS means Student and Exchange Visitor Information System — a U.S. government system that manages data and application processes for all non-immigrants on F-1 visas.
• How does UPIKE define an international student? 
Any student who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States is considered an international student.
• Do international students have to pay more tuition than domestic students?
International students do not pay more tuition than domestic students. In fact, they are awarded two institutional scholarships. If a student attends the intensive English institute an additional scholarship is also available.
• Can I study part-time? 
No, International students cannot study part-time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment.
• Can international students work on campus? 
Yes. According to U.S. law, on-campus employment is the only legal employment for international students.
• Does UPIKE admit a fixed number of students from each country? 
No. We seek to admit a diverse group of international students each year. The quantity and quality of applications from different countries will vary from year to year, and so will the admissions. We do not predetermine the number of candidates that we will admit from any particular country.
• Who may I contact with further questions? 
Contact Diann Whittier, UPIKE Office of International Students and Scholar Services at

There has never been a better time to be a UPIKE Bear! APPLY NOW
UPike Tigers