New Student Veterans

What are some of the benefits UPIKE provides for student veterans?

The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs is located in the Armington Building, room 009. Make us your first stop on campus.


If you have questions that can’t wait, contact the MVA Office at UPIKE at (606) 218-5732.

Applying to UPIKE

Before you arrive you'll need to complete your application to UPIKE. Make sure you mark your service connection on your undergraduate.

You will also need to get official copies of transcripts sent to UPIKE (Office of the Registrar, 147 Sycamore Street, Pikeville, KY 41501) from your high school or from any college where you have taken courses. UPIKE will also need your ACT or SAT scores which you can order online and have sent to the admissions office.

Register for Orientation

After admission to the university, you will receive an invitation to sign up to attend orientation (Growl).

What is GROWL? GROWL stands for Gathering for Registration, Orientation, Welcome and Leadership. During GROWL, students will have an opportunity to learn more about the University of Pikeville, campus life and the business of being a student. This includes opportunities to meet with Financial Aid and Student Success staff as well as receive your student ID card. This promises to be a fun and informative experience that provides the foundation for a successful experience as a student here at UPIKE!

We encourage your family to attend, as well.

If you have any questions while registering for orientation, please call Admissions at (606) 218-5251, and please be sure to tell them that you are a veteran.

Applying to Regional Veteran Affairs

The other application you’ll need to make is directly with the Regional Veteran Affairs, who will verify and approve your GI Bill benefits eligibility. If you are not sure which benefits you qualify for or if you should use Post 9-11 GI Bill vs. Montgomery GI Bill, visit or read our Veteran Benefits page. Once you are ready, fill out the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). If you prefer, you can fill out and mail a paper application.

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

Toll-Free: (888) 442-4551

Either way, you will have to mail the application signature page from the online application or the entire application to the VA Regional Office (see address at right) along with a copy of your discharge certificate (DD214). If you can’t find your DD214, go to eVetRecs to request a copy from the archives. If you need help, call the VA Regional Office on their toll-free number.

Getting Credit for Prior Learning and Military Experience

You will also want to explore academic credit for military service. Each service produces a transcript listing academic equivalency for military training and experience based on guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE). This has links to all the services’ transcript request sites.

Once you have a copy of your military transcripts, UPIKE can help you determine which military credits might apply towards your degree plan. Some may be applied toward general education or degree requirements while most will likely count as free elective credits. A lot will depend on your military background and your chosen major. UPIKE is committed to giving your military service a fair evaluation and awarding you as much credit as possible for your educational interests. UPIKE also accepts credit by exam CLEP.

Arriving at UPIKE

The more you get done before you arrive the easier it will be when you step on campus. We’ll work with you in advance or when you arrive to make sure you are ready to go on the first day of class. When you do arrive on campus your first stop should be Military Veterans Affairs (Administration Building, Room 201) to give us your VA certificate of eligibility if you haven't sent it to us already.

Remember these four things:
  1. It may take six-eight weeks before you receive your first benefit check for the first, so plan ahead.
  2. All coursework must count toward degree completion.
  3. If you change your major you must complete a new Veterans Education Plan (VA Form 22-1995) before the semester starts.
  4. If you add, drop, or change a class you must inform the VA Certifying Official so your certification can be properly updated.

There has never been a better time to be a UPIKE Bear! APPLY NOW
UPike Tigers