Family & Dependents

Spouse Education Benefits - MyCAA

Effective October 25, 2010: The MyCAA program will reopen to all eligible spouses under the new program guidelines. All spouses, including those currently participating, will be subject to the new eligibility criteria and revised funding limits below:

Spouse of an active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine service member, or activated Reserve member in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O2.

If the spouse of National Guard and/or AGR member, the sponsor must be on federal Title X active duty orders as reported in DEERS. Spouses of Guard/Reserve members in an alert, transition assistance, or post deployment status are not eligible.

MyCAA accounts will be limited to the new $4,000 maximum benefit with a $2,000 fiscal year cap. Waivers to the fiscal year cap will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or certification with a cost that exceeds the $2,000 fiscal year cap up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.

Spouses must finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course. Funding is limited to associate’s degrees, certifications and licensure programs.

Post 9-11 Transfer of Eligibility (DOD)

As of August 2009, the option now exists for career service members to transfer some or all of their Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits to their dependents. Before a dependent can apply for these benefits, the service member must apply with the department of defense for a transfer of eligibility (TEB). You can complete the application online with DOD (look under the related links).

After you have submitted your request to transfer benefits you will need to track the status of your request by returning to the TEB website. After the status of your request is changed to “approved” the TEB site will automatically transfer the data to the VA. At this point, the family member submits a VA Form 22-1990e to the VA to obtain a certificate of eligibility to the VA. This can be done online or you can mail the paper copy to the VA Regional Office.

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

Toll-Free: (888) 442-4551

UPIKE’s VA Certifying Official (Administration Building, Room 002B) will need a copy of the certificate. If you have not received your certificate and classes are about to begin, the VA certifying official to submit the enrollment certification to the VA. Tuition funds will be sent directly from the VA to the university. Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend (BAH) and the book allowance. Spouses using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend and the book allowance only if the service member is no longer on active duty.

Dependents’ Education Assistance (DEA)

The DEA program (Chapter 35) provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans. To be eligible for these benefits you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:
  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence. A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power. A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change was effective December 23, 2006.

Kentucky Tuition Waiver

DEA recipients may also be eligible for a tuition waiver under the state waiver of tuition KRS 164 statute. For more information, visit Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs website.

There has never been a better time to be a UPIKE Bear! APPLY NOW
UPike Tigers