What is GROWL?

GROWL stands for Gathering for Registration, Orientation, Welcome and Leadership.

During GROWL sessions you will meet with an advisor one-on-one, have your photo taken for your UPIKE ID, talk with a financial services representative and finalize your housing and meal plan. You will also take a bus tour of Pikeville and spend time with other new UPIKE Bears while making friends and having fun!

We encourage your family to attend, as well.


In order to schedule an appointment for GROWL, you must be accepted to the University of Pikeville. The University must have your application, ACT/SAT scores and highschool/GED transcripts on file before you can register for GROWL.

If you are a high school student and have taken college courses while in high school, we must have received these transcripts, as well, in order for your acceptance to be complete.

If you are a transfer student, we must have received transcripts from all prior institutions you have attended.

If you have questions pertaining to your admissions status, please call 606-218-5251 for further information.

Student Deposit
Prior to your GROWL appointment, you will need to pay a $50 student deposit. This deposit will solidify your commitment to the University of Pikeville and be the first step in becoming a new student. This is not a fee, this will serve as a deposit on your student account until you advise the Business Office of your intended use. You can use this deposit on your studen account until you advise the Business Office of your intended use. You can use this deposit to pay any future fees/fines, as a portion of your graduation fee, or as a payment to any potential balance. In the event that you do not attend the University of Pikeville, this deposit will be forfeited. You can pay this deposit in person with cash or check or online by clicking the link below. If you you chose to pay with a credit/debit card, there will be a fee. If you chose to pay with an electronic check, there is no fee. Should you have any questions, please contact the Business Office at 606-218-5200 or ar@upike.edu.

Click HERE to pay your student deposit.

2018 Sessions - Dates Coming Soon

Session One Saturday TBA
Session Two Tuesday- Nursing Session TBA
Session Three Thursday- Transfer Session TBA
Session Four Friday-Saturday (Mandatory Overnight) TBA
Session Five Friday TBA
Session Six Monday TBA
Session Seven Monday TBA

List of Available Majors

Howard Roberts
Dean & Professor, Coleman College of Business
Office: Academy Building 100 D

Coletta Parsley
Director of Teacher Education
Office: Armington 445

Patricia Kowalok
Chair, Division of Humanities
Professor of English

Office: Record Memorial 404

Benjamin Clayton
Chair, Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Associate Professor of Chemistry

Office: Armington 214 B

Mary Simpson
Dean, Elliott School of Nursing
Office: Record Memorial 300

Nancy Cade
Chair, Division of Social Sciences
Davenport Distinguished Professor of History and Political Science
Office: Armington 450

Interdisciplinary Studies

Looking for a Place to Stay While in Town?

Brookshire Inn
123 Alexandra Dr.
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 433-0888

Hampton Inn
831 Hambley Blvd.
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 432-8181

Hilton Garden Inn
849 Hambley Blvd.
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 766-2000
Historic Mansion Bed and Breakfast
179 College Street
Pikeville, KY 41501
(606) 509-0296

Holiday Inn Express
476 S. Mayo Trail
Pikeville, KY 41502
(606) 433-1800

The Landmark Inn
190 S. Mayo Trail
Pikeville, KY 41502
(606) 432-2545

Residence Life Application Process

Under Construction. Coming Soon!
GROWL Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Am I required to attend the full GROWL session?
A: Yes. All new students are required to attend the GROWL session in its entirety. There are activities that will need to be taken care of before you begin classes in the fall (i.e. register for classes, receive your Student ID, etc.)

Q: Should my parents/guardians attend the GROWL session?
A: If you haven’t turned 18 by your GROWL date, you will need to have a parent/guardian attend with you. Although it’s not required, it is very beneficial for parents to attend the GROWL session. Information will be provided to parents that specifically relates to their involvement with your college experience.

Q: Will my parents/guardians be with me during the GROWL program?
A: Your family is welcome to attend GROWL with you, but some GROWL activities for students will take place while parents are engaged in other activities on campus.

Q: What should I wear to GROWL?
A: This is a casual program and you will be moving around and taking tours. Dress comfortably! Keep in mind that you will take a photo for your Student ID card.

Q: What are the next steps?
A: Make sure you call the Office of Admissions (606-218-5251) to sign up for your GROWL date. If you intend to live on campus in the fall, please complete the online housing application form on Joule using the instructions provided by the Office of Residence Life.

Q: I am coming from out of town. Where should I stay for the night?
A: You are encouraged to contact local hotels to make arrangements for an overnight stay. For more information refer to the "Lodging" tab above.

What To Bring
For Academic Affairs
• Request your final official high school transcript be mailed to the Office of Admissions after graduation.
• Provide copies of Advanced Placement score(s) for potential course credit.
• Request official college transcripts if you have taken dual credit courses while in high school or college courses for which you will receive transfer credit(s).
For Financial Aid
• Student and Parent FAFSA (User ID/Password)
• Driver’s license
• Social Security number or birth certificate
• Any other document requested by the Office of Student Financial Services

There has never been a better time to be a UPIKE Bear! APPLY NOW
UPike Tigers