Preparing for emergencies in advance is one of the most effective ways to deal with potential disasters. Review the following precautions and prepare to take the recommended steps.
Steps to follow if you see a fire:
- Activate the nearest fire alarm.
- If the fire is on campus, call Campus Police at 606.218.5940; if the fire is off campus, call the Pikeville Fire Department at 911. Give your name, address, location and the extent of the fire.
- Calmly alert people in the building, and evacuate the building by following the EXIT signs.
Steps to follow if you are caught in a fire:
- Remain calm.
- Before opening a door, feel the door with the back of your hand. If it is hot;
- Do not open the door. Open the windows.
- If it is possible lower the top half of the window to let out heat and smoke and raise the lower half to let in fresh air.
- Seal cracks around doors with towels, linens or clothes. Soak these items in water if possible.
- To attract attention, hang objects out the window. Shout for help.
- Keep low to the floor. Take short breaths to avoid inhaling smoke. Place a wet towel over your nose and mouth. Keep your head six to eight inches off the floor.
- If the door is not hot, brace yourself against the door and open it slowly. If hot air or fire rushes in, close the door and refer to step 2A.
- If you can leave, close all doors behind you and proceed to the nearest safe exit. Leave the building and stand clear of the fire. Help police and fire personnel when they arrive.
Steps to follow for fire prevention:
- Know every regular and emergency exit. Know how to activate the alarm system and what it sounds like. Know the location of fire extinguishers and how to operate them.
- Arrange the contents of your room with fire safety in mind. Maintain clear and unobstructed access to your room door from both inside and outside.
- Do not overload the electrical outlets. Do not use broken, frayed, or cracked electrical cords. Multi-outlet surge protectors are not allowed in dorm areas. Do not suspend lamps or lights by their own cords.
- If you smoke, exercise care when smoking and do not smoke in bed.
- Do not allow excess clutter of flammable materials.
- Candles are not permited in dorm areas.